Checklists are a good habit to get into when you prepare for an outing. Print this one out, make your own additions, and maybe you can avoid that, “Oh, no, I forgot…” scenario.
Whenever you head into the woods for longer than a few hours, you’ll need to gear up. Base your equipment selection on the season, region and length of your trip. And remember, in mountainous areas, weather can change quickly and dramatically. Regulatory agencies at your destination will be more than happy to answer your questions and provide advice.
Don’t hit the trail without these items.
- Compass and/or Portable GPS
- Food: Snacks and/or Bag Lunch
- Water bottle and water
- First aid kit
- Fire Starting Kit: Butane Lighter, Cotton Balls, Strike-A-Fire or Trioxane Tablets, Fire Starter and Waterproof Matches
- Sunglasses & Sunscreen
- Extra Clothing Layers
- Flashlight, headlamp or lantern
- A permit (if required)
- Rope, Cord, or Straps
- Whistle and Signal Mirror
EXTENDED STAY HIKE
For extended stay backpacking adventures, add the following items to the above day hike list:
- Quick-drying nylon pants or shorts
- Short-sleeved T-shirts
- Long-sleeved shirts
- Fleece or wool pants
- Fleece or wool top
- Fleece or wool vest
- Two pair wicking long underwear (one light, one dark)
- Poncho or Other Rain Gear
- Wide-brimmed sun hat
- Stocking cap
- Fleece gloves
- Glove liners
- Wool or synthetic socks
- Synthetic or silk sock liners
- Hiking boots
- Extra laces
- Pack cover
- Tent and rainfly
- Ground cloth
- Sleeping bag
- Compression sack
- Sleeping pad
- Stuff Sacks for clothes, food and other items
- Stove and fuel
- Cook set
- Drinking cup
- Plastic garbage bags and freezer bags
- Biodegradable soap
- Pot scrubber
- Water filter or purification tablets
- Toilet paper
- Trowel or shovel
- Toothbrush and paste
- Small bath towel
- Brush or comb
- Lip balm
- Insect repellent
- Head net
- Whistle or signal mirror
- Pocketknife or multitool
- 100 feet of parachute cord
- Repair and spare-parts kit
- Field guide
- Camera (with extra battery)
- Playing cards or other games
- Fishing license and tackle
- Large fixed-blade knife or Folding Saw
To donate to JDRF please click on this image
Hi everyone, so as you know JDRF & NY thrill Seekers big Scavenger hunt, is here with a $1000 prize!. There is no registration or feed to join this adventure. This event will last 3 days starting Friday April 13th 2012, until Sunday, April 15th 2012, midnight.
List One is below.
The rules are fun, simple and easy.
- We will release the first list of items and tasks that you need to find or do, on Friday April 13th 2012, you must collect 12 items from this list.
- We will release a second list of items and tasks that you need to find or do, on Saturday April 14th 2012, you must collect 12 items from this list.
- And we will release a final list of items and tasks that you need to find or do, on Sunday April 15th 2012, you must collect 12 items from this list.
- You have 3 days to take this challenge and find all items and do the tasks from each list.
- You could join this challenge any time during the 3 days and still win $$$.
- You must snap pictures or videos of the item from the task lists, these pictures and video MUST display a sign, banners or t-shirt with Nythrillseekers.com written on it, so we know is current and real. The word “Nythrillseekers.com” must be clear, readable and big.
- Send all pictures to email@example.com or post them on http://facebook.com/nythrillseekers page.
- All video must be posted on our http://facebook.com/nythrillseekers page; they could be from your page to ours or YouTube.com share to ours. (This will give us time stamp.)
- You must submit all items by Sunday, April 15th 2012, midnight. No entries after midnight will be accepted.
- The first one to send or post all 36 items will win $1000 prize.
- There is no registration, no feed!!! Just down load the list, and start collecting the items.
- Second place and third place prizes will also be given out!!
- Winner will be announced Friday April 20th 2012. Via phone and email, facebook.com/nyhtrillseekers page.
- Prize will be awarded Friday April 27th 2012 at the NY Thrill Seekers, Scavenger Hunt after party.
- We will post the winner on our facebook.com/nyhtrillseekers page, and nythrillseeker.com site.
Disclaimer: by joining this event you are consenting to release all picture and videos of this event to NY Thrill Seekers, (Urban Thrill Seekers Inc).